The spurt of social networks has brought us to a critical juncture. With more people on the move, it becomes imperative to be able to tweet, or use Facebook from a mobile device. Seesmic for Android aims to bridge that gap on the Android mobile platform. One of the reasons that it’s my go-to Android app for social networking is the fact that it acts like a hub for multiple social networks. As of today, it has support for Facebook, Twitter, (the increasingly invisible) Google Buzz, Foursquare and LinkedIn. This list of supported networks has a lot of potential to grow further.
- Integration: The fact that it handles a large number of networks really makes it a complete package.
- Control: You have the option of posting the same message to multiple networks, or be selective in posting by choosing the networks you want to update.
- Widgets: In general, the Seesmic widget tends to be far more useful than other similar widgets. It acts like a ticker feed for the network you select.
Basic Setup and Use
Now that have you a basic idea of Seesmic, let’s get down and dirty with the app itself. I’ll walk you through setting up and configuring it.
- Download and install: A fairly easy step. You can download and install the Seesmic for Android app from the Android Market.
- Once you fire up the app, you will greeted with a screen to sign in to Twitter. Seesmic doesn’t store any passwords with itself, so you can safely log in with your Twitter credentials.
- After signing in, you’ll be taken to your Twitter timeline. You can scroll through your timeline as you do with the default Twitter app, and go through the latest updates. Clicking on the Red bar at the top of the screen makes you jump to the top of the timeline (a rather neat feature).
- The same red bar will have options to Refresh, Post a new message, and Search. Use these as desired.
Adding More Accounts
The usefulness of Seesmic can only be felt if you are using it to ping multiple accounts. Go through the steps below to add new social networks.
- On your Twitter timeline, select Menu (generally, the hardware button) and then tap Accounts. You’ll be taken to a screen with your currently configured accounts.
- Click the little plus sign at the top-right corner to add another account. Go through that account’s verification procedures to complete the process.
Posting to Multiple Accounts
Having an app configured with multiple accounts is no fun if you can’t actually post to them simultaneously. Seesmic has you covered for such an eventuality.
- When you compose a new post (clicking on the new button on Red bar), you are taken to a screen where you can type in your update. On this screen, tap your user name using the same bar. You will now be shown a screen with a list of all your configured networks.
- Select the ones you want to post to and click OK. You should be good to go.
- The only problem with this is the fact that you cannot set this as the default behavior.
Some Advanced Settings
Besides the above-mentioned nitty-gritty, Seesmic does offer some additional features, which can be accessed from the Settings menu option.
- Background Updates: You can configure how you want automatic updates to occur to your timelines. You can select things like the update interval, and whether or not to provide notifications when the updates occur. You can also select custom notification tones.
- Photo and Video: Here, you can configure the upload service you want to use for hosting the photos and videos shared by you. Seesmic also has options for URL shortening using bit.ly.
While it’s not the most full-featured client like its more dedicated counterparts, Seesmic does get the job done. In fact, it does what it claims perfectly and helps you manage multiple accounts pretty well. If you are on the lookout for a different, unified client for your social networks on Android, stop looking further and go the Seesmic way. Seesmic is also available for Windows and Mac, as well as other mobile platforms like Windows Phone 7.